GENERAL ORDER NO. 1
- Having been duly elected at the 79th State Convention on June 8, 2014 and properly installed as Commander, Department of Alabama, Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States, I Calvin Underwood hereby assume command.
- The following officers having been duly elected and installed will be accorded the proper recognition:
Sr. Vice Commander – Johnny Waller, Post 4572, Wetumpka, AL
Jr. Vice Commander – Walter Dempster, Post 6226, Arab, AL
Quartermaster – Charles Stephens, Post 3128, Ft Payne, AL
Judge Advocate – Wayne Dial, Post 924 Anniston, AL
Surgeon – Max Hyatt, Post 6226, Arab, AL
Chaplain – Valentin “Val” Obregon, Post 3568, Bay Minette, AL
Immediate Past Commander – Greg Usrey, Post 2702, Huntsville, AL
District 1 Commander – John Schmitz, Post 5162, S Huntsville, AL
District 2 Commander – George Jones, Post 6073, Scottsboro, AL
District 3 Commander – Martin Kiewel, Post 1762, Bessemer, AL
District 4 Commander – Alvin Morrow, Post 4758, Pell City, AL
District 5 Commander – James “J W” Vaught, Post 5180, Ft. Mitchell, AL
District 6 Commander – Luther Parden, Post 5106, Thomasville, AL
District 7 Commander – Michael Naro, Post 3073, Dothan, AL
District 8 Commander – Ronnie Doege, Post 5658, Elberta, AL
3 The following appointments are hereby announced:
Adjutant – Johnny Waller, Post 4572, Wetumpka, AL
Chief of Staff – Jerry Anger, Post 6173, Brookside, AL
Inspector – Stephen Connolly, Post 6837, Boaz, AL
Sgt.-at-Arms – Don Collum, Post 10774, Falkville, AL
Department Service Officer – Lorenzo Landrum, Post 10366, Montgomery, AL
Convention Committee Chairman – Charles Stephens, Post 3128, Fort Payne, AL
- All previous appointments are hereby null and void.
- All other appointments are posted on the website at www.alvfw.org. These comrades will be accorded the proper recognition.
- GENERAL ORDERS: All material in State General Orders are directive in nature and will be read to the membership at the Post regular membership meetings each month.
- ATTENTION COMMANDERS: all levels are directed to Section 703 of the National By-Laws which requires that each accountable employee and officer(s) be bonded with an Indemnity Company in the sum at least equal to the amount of liquid assets for which he/she may be accountable.
- The next Business Session of the 2014-2015 Council of Administration will be July 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM at the Birmingham Marriott. Any member having any item(s) to come before the Council should contact their representative and provide them with the information.
- ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES VISITS: All Commanders are required to notify the Department as soon as possible and no later than 72 hours after any contact by phone, letter or visit by Federal, State or Local Enforcement Officers of the ABC Board, IRS Office, local Sheriff, Police Departments or any other agencies of their visit and any violation, request noted or any information requested.
- CONTROL OF UNITS: National By-Laws Section 709 states, “No Post, County Council, District or Department and no activity, clubroom or holding company or unit sponsored, conducted or operated by, for or on behalf of any Post, County Council, District or Department may own any property jointly or in common with any individual, firm, partnership, association, corporation or other business or charitable entity, including veterans organizations nor may they participate in any arrangement whereby the funds of such Post, County Councils, District or Department or activity clubroom, holding company or unit sponsored, conducted or operated by, for or in its behalf are expended on property held by another entity for the joint used of such Post, County Council, District and Department and other individuals, firms, partnership, associations, corporation or other business or charitable entities, including veterans organizations.”
- Any VFW Post loaning, renting, leasing or allowing use of in anyway their VFW Post facilities or property to any civic, military or other Veteran’s organization will have a signed rental or lease agreement if for one (1) time or for a year with a hold harmless agreement included in the signed document. A copy of the agreement must be submitted to the State Commander at Headquarters at least seventy two (72) hours prior to the use of the facilities by the other party to insure proper compliance.
- WEARING OF HATS: Attention of Commanders, at all levels, are directed to action of the National Council of Administration prohibiting the wearing of VFW sport caps and/or western style caps at VFW meetings in place of the regulation cap of the VFW official uniform as set forth in Section 803 of the National By-Laws and Manual of Procedure. This prohibition is in accordance with previous directive of Commanders-in-Chief that it is held to be objectionable and contrary to accepted rules of order and proper decorum implicit in the ritual of the Veterans of Foreign Wars to permit the wearing of other than the official VFW caps at VFW meetings. This also applies to informal meetings.
- POST DUES RESERVE: Attention is directed to Section 218, Manual of Procedure, which mandates Post Quartermasters to maintain a dues reserve fund to which shall be credited no less than one/half of the Post’s part of the current year’s dues paid by each member prior to July 1, except dues remitted by the post. No post Quartermaster shall disburse, nor shall an obligation be incurred against this fund until after July 1, at which time it shall be transferred to the Post General Fund and be available for expenditure.
- ATTENTION OF POST COMMANDERS: are directed to Section 218, Manual of Procedure, Duty of Trustees, which states that Post Trustees shall prepare and submit quarterly, through their Post Commander, a Post Trustees Report of Audit (Supply Department Stock No. 4212) to the Department Quartermaster. The first report is due at the close of the Quarter June 2014. Post must have audit to Department Headquarters no later than 31 July 2014. Do not mail these reports to National Headquarters.
- BUDDY POPPY: 2014-2015 Buddy Poppies will cost $65.00 for 500 and $130.00 for 1,000. This includes postage. Minimum order is 500. Order early for Veterans Day. Support the disabled veterans in the VA Hospitals that make Buddy Poppies by having a great program for 2014-2015.
- A House Committee is elected to act as management for the business affairs at the club. State VFW Club Regulations for Alabama Organizations and By-Laws explains in detail their overall responsibilities.
- NOTICE: National By-Laws Article II Section 213 requires that the office of Quartermaster be bonded, that the Post be properly insured and that all trustee audits be submitted on time. Failure to comply will subject your Post Charter to suspension.
- MANDATORY: National By-Laws and Manual of Procedures Article II Section 218 (a) (1) K requires the Commander, and in his absence the Sr. Vice and in the absence of both of the them the Jr. Vice Commander to attend all properly called District meetings. There will be no exceptions to this requirement.
- The Congressional charter “An Act” Section 5 and the National By-Laws Article 1 Section 101 describe in detail the requirements for membership in the VFW and it does not allow for any type of Honorary or Associate membership, PERIOD.
- All members are required to follow the proper chain of command prior to calling or writing National Headquarters. A copy of the letter written to National must be sent to State Headquarters.
- All Posts must participate in the core programs listed in the Roster and Program book. Programs, especially membership, are the VFW and not the canteen. Without doing the programs it is not the VFW and there will be no canteen.
- National Special Order No. 324, dated June 19, 2014 ordered that Cynthia J Watson, Life member no. 9371286, Wiregrass Post No. 3073, Dothan, Alabama ordered Cynthia J Watson not be allowed to hold a Post or District office for two (2) years, a State office for three (3) years or the Office of State Quartermaster or State Adjutant for ten (10) years in the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States.
BY ORDER OF: