The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Dinner by Mission Barbecue Tuesday the 28thMission Barbecue is opening a new resturant at Towers Shopping Center soon if it is not already open. They are very involved in affairs related to the armed forces and veterans and exibit a very patriotic atmosphere in their businesses. They are generously serving us dinner on Tuesday, Oct 28th. free for members and guests. … Continue reading »
- November General Orders 2014NOVEMBER GENERAL ORDERS-2014
- Three MIAs Identified:The Defense POW/MIA Office has announced the identification of three American servicemen who had been missing in action since World War II, Korea and Vietnam. Returned are: Army Air Force 2nd Lt. Jimmie D. Collins III, 32, from Talladega County, Ala., copilot of a B-24H that was lost over The Netherlands on June 21, 1944. He was assigned to the 446th Bombard
- Veterans Day in WashingtonVisitors coming to their Nation’s Capital on Nov. 11 will be able to attend many special and free events to celebrate Veterans Day, including formal observances at the World War II Memorial at 9 a.m.; at Arlington National Cemetery’s Tomb of the Unknowns and Memorial Amphitheater at 11 a.m.; at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial at 1 p.m.; and on the National Mal
- VA Secretary Releases Op-Ed on VA Health CareToday, the Baltimore Sun published an op-ed by VA Secretary Bob McDonald, detailing his thoughts on the mission of the Veterans Health Administration. It begins, “During preparation for my confirmation as secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA), I was repeatedly asked, ‘Why doesn’t VA just hand out vouchers allowing veterans to get care wherever they want?’ For
- Surviving Spouses Now Eligible for Fry ScholarshipsThe Department of Veterans Affairs will begin accepting applications by mail beginning Nov. 3 for the Fry Scholarship under newly expanded eligibility criteria that now includes surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after Sept. 10, 2001. It is the latest in a series of VA actions taken in accordance with the VFW-supported Veterans
- Health Care Benefits for Camp Lejeune Veterans and Their Families Starts TodayBeginning today, veterans who were stationed at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina for at least 30 days between January 1, 1957 and December 31, 1987 will be able to receive health care for the 15 medical conditions associated with exposure to contaminated drinking water at the Marine Corps base. Eligible veterans may now enroll for VA care and receive treatment
- COLA Increase DeterminedEarlier this year, Congress passed the authorization for Cost of Living Adjustment (COLA) for all Veterans Affairs beneficiaries. What wasn’t known at the time was the amount of the increase, which is based off of the Consumer Price Index and determined by the Social Security Administration (SSA). Just this week the SSA announced that COLA will increase by 1
- VFW Action Corps Weekly, October 24, 2014In This Issue: 1. COLA Increase Determined 2. Health Care Benefits for Camp Lejeune Veterans and Their Families Starts Today 3. Surviving Spouses Now Eligible for Fry Scholarships 4. VA Secretary Releases Op-Ed on VA Health Care 5. Veterans Day in Washington 6. Three MIAs Identified 1. COLA Increase Determined: Earlier this year, Congress […]
- 14th Annual Major Tom McHugh Golf TournamentVeterans of Foreign Wars, Post 9133 Sgt. Major Tom McHugh USMC 14th Annual Memorial Golf Tournament Friday, 14 November 2014 ... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Network Admin on Air Force Veteran Elected to Lead Veterans of Foreign Wars