The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Post Halloween PartyAll the witches, ghost, kings, police, wolf, etc.,etc. showed up for the annual Post Halloween party. Check out some of the customs below: [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Three MIAs Identified:The Defense POW/MIA Office has announced the identification of three American servicemen who had been missing in action since Korea and Vietnam. Returned are: Sgt. Michael J. Barra, U.S. Army, Company C, 2nd Engineer Combat Battalion, 2nd Infantry Division, was lost Feb. 20, 1951, in North Korea. He was accounted for Oct. 23, 2014. He […]
- VA Launces New Affordable Care Act Web Page:This week, the Department of Veterans Affairs updated its website with a new page containing information on the Affordable Care Act (ACA). The page is easy to navigate, and is broken down into different links for veterans already enrolled in VA care, unenrolled veterans, and family members. Those who are not enrolled yet can use […]
- Call for Personal Stories on Forced ArbitrationWhen our service members deploy, their focus should be on protecting our nation, not on predatory schemes, scams, abuses and frauds causing financial difficulties at home. However, their financial security has been jeopardized by an injustice buried in the fine print of their loan applications, rental agreements, credit card statements and other financial contracts. […]
- Election TuesdayTuesday, November 4, is Election Day. This election will impact veterans, service members and their families. The candidates who win on Tuesday will be thrust into debates and votes on issues ranging from adequately funding VA health care and what the future retirement benefits for military retirees will look like to whether or not the […]
- Full Advanced Appropriations Vote PromisedThis week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, promised the Senate would vote on S. 932, the “Putting Veterans FundingFirst Act” when Congress returns to Capitol Hill after the election. This legislation will provide Advanced Appropriations for all Department of Veterans Affairs discretionary budget accounts. Advanced Appropriations has been a top priority for the VFW, and […]
- VFW Action Corps Weekly, October 31, 2014In This Issue: 1. Full Advanced Appropriations Vote Promised 2. Election Tuesday 3. Call for Personal Stories on Forced Arbitration 4. VA Launches New Affordable Care Act Web Page 5. Three MIAs Identified 1. Full Advanced Appropriations Vote Promised: This week, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, promised the Senate would vote on S. 932, […]
- Burger King® Franchisees to Launch VFW Unmet Needs Fundraising CampaignKANSAS CITY, Mo. — The Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Foundation is pleased to announce that for the eighth consecutive year, Burger King® Franchisees across the country will host a fundraiser to benefit the VFW Unmet Needs program during the month of November. Patrons of participating BURGER KING® Restaurants are encouraged to donate $1 or […]
- The November NewsletterThe November Newsletter has been posted, please click on the Newsletter link in the upper menu to view and/or download it.
- Post 4411 Color GuardJust as an update, we now have a color guard which we have been discussing for a number of years. As of right now it consists of Bill Hunnicutt(Leader), Scott Seddon, Ed Matucci, and myself. It takes four people to do the color's properly, and so we are looking for at least a couple more […]