The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Wisconsin Mobile Service Office Schedule – 2014
- VFW Action Corps Weekly, April 17, 2014In This Issue:1. VFW Counters ‘Crazy Vet’ Editorial2. VFW Discusses Issues with Recovering Warrior Task Force3. Medal of Honor to Go to OEF Soldier4. Tricare Prime Update5. Field Report: Alaska Discusses Veterans’ Issues with Senator Begich6. Veterans Legislation Needs Your Help7. Two WWII MIAs Recovered 1. VFW Counters ‘Crazy Vet’ Editorial: VFW National Co […]
- Chaplain Smith Funeral Services AnnouncedThe Department Quartermaster has announced the funeral details for North Carolina VFW State Chaplain Stephen Smith. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] […]
- Heartland Honor Flight DonationThe local Voiture 1015 of the 40 & 8 , along with the John E. Walls VFW 2534, have each contributed money to the Heartland Honor Flight organization to help offset the cost of flying the Nebraska City, NE World War II and Korean War Veterans to Washington DC. The last flight on March 25th […]
- Mo VFW Cootie Convention – April 2014Missouri Cooties and Auxiliary Sisters held 79th Grand Scratch and 53rd Grand Convention – April 11th – 13th, 2014 at the Truman Hotel and Convention Center, Jefferson City, MO. Guest attending were Missouri Department Sr Vice Commander Chris Bell, Supreme MOC Commander Mark Newman from Delaware, Supreme MOCA Conductress Penny Sue Cacoulidis from North Ca […]
- VFW Legislative Alert: Urge Senate to Pass S. 1982VFW Legislative Alert: Urge Senate to Pass S. 1982 – Comprehensive Veterans’ and Health Benefits Package Today! Background: S. 1982, the Comprehensive Veterans Health and Benefits and Military Retirement Pay Restoration Act of 2014 is the most comprehensive veterans’ legislation to be introduced in decades. It addresses many of the VFW’s legislative priorit […]
- Veterans Rally in Jefferson CityThe first thing I want to do is give a big “THANK YOU” to all who came to the Veterans Rally on 9 April. We had a very good turnout and I know most of them also called on their Senator and Representative before or after the Rally. There were several Bills and Resolutions approved […]
- NC VFW State Chaplain DiesIt is with great sadness that we inform all of you of Chaplain Smith's passing. He passed away this morning (Sunday) at 9:50 with the family at his side. Once arraignment are finalized they will be... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] […]
- Mo VFW 2013-2014 Scout of the Year Scholarship Winner SelectedContact: David Cartner, National Scouting Team, Department of Missouri Phone: H: 573-765-4150 or C: 573-855-6276 The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post, Department of Missouri, is proud to announce the selection of Seth D. Baskett of Sturgeon, MO as the 2013-2014 Scout of the Year Scholarship winner. The Scout of the Year Scholarship Program is an […]
- VFW Washington Weekly, April 11, 2014In This Issue:1. House Armed Services Talks Beneficiary Proposals2. Committee Asks VA for Explanation on Healthcare Delays/Deaths3. VFW Joins Capitol Seminar on Rural Veterans4. Veterans Crisis Line5. Congress on Two Week Recess-Time to Schedule a Visit6. Volunteers Needed for Reading of Names7. Three MIAs Recovered8. VFW Action Corps Rebranding 1. House Arm […]