The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Mtn Grove VFW Visits Mansfield Middle Schoolleft to right – Glinda Kelley, Mtn Grove VFW Ladies Auxiliary Youth Chairman, Patriots Pen 1st Place – Valentina Keith; PP 2nd Place – Benner Rhodes; PP 3rd place – Lanysha Kelley; PP 4th place – Casey Carnal; and Nancy Smith, Mtn Grove VFW Ladies Auxiliary Secretary The VFW Patriot’s Pen essay contest is for […]
- VFW Action Corps Weekly, November 26, 20141. Happy Thanksgiving! 2. VFW-SVA Fellowship Reminder 3. VA Choice Program Update 4. Eight Mission WWII Airmen Identified 1. Happy Thanksgiving!: This Thanksgiving, we are all thankful for those who have served in our armed forces, past and present. When you gather this Thanksgiving, be sure to remember the men and women in uniform […]
- Mtn Grove VFW Fundraising RaffleThe Mountain Grove VFW decided to hold a raffle as a way of raising funds to fund the Voice of Democracy and Patriots Pen Essay writing contests. It was decided to raffle a Ruger 30.06 on Veterans Day 2014. Tickets were offered the first time following the meeting of August 9. Sales were brisk and the post […]
- PTSD and TBI ARE REAL!
- Colonel Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt, US Army
- LEGISLATIVE FELLOWSHIPStudent veterans may be interested in this opportunity: http://www.vfw.org/StudentFellowship/. [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]
- Massachusetts VFW NewspaperClick here for newspaper
- New VFW Charter Reflects Today’s MilitaryVFW thankful for unanimous support from Congress November 21, 2014 WASHINGTON — The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States is thanking the 113th Congress for their unanimous support this week to approve a change to the VFW’s congressional charter that was signed 78 years ago by President Franklin D. Roosevelt when the military […]
- VFW Statement on Secretary HagelCommander Stroud salutes Hagel’s service and commitment November 24, 2014 WASHINGTON — The national commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States issued the following statement regarding Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel’s announcement to resign after a successor is confirmed. “Chuck Hagel is a Vietnam veteran, double Purple Heart recipient, and a […]
- THANKSGIVING DINNER AT THE POSTFor those of you who will remain in the area and would like to join members of the local 9133 VFW for a Thanksgiving dinner, please feel free to come. Check out the VFW for a mouth watering turkey... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and […]