The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Flags at state and local government buildings to be flown at half-staffJEFFERSON CITY, Mo. – The U.S. and Missouri flags on all state and local government buildings in Missouri will be flown at half-staff on Saturday, Dec. 7 to commemorate those who died or were wounded during the attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on Dec. 7, 1941. A 1996 state law designates the date as Pearl Harbor […]
- Memorial Day 2013
- Bands4Good Music Festival and Live Concert Eventhe Doing Good Network’s Bands4Good Challenge has announced the performance roster for its main event this weekend, as the competition enters the final stretch to the finish line. The top seven... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] […]
- Santa Cancer Benefit Party To Help Local Army WifeAll money will be going to SFC Arron Richie’s wife Andrea as she battles cancer.
- Job Bulletin # 12 Dec. 2, 2013Jobs listing in Wisconsin and eastern Minnesota
- VFW Cooties – SEMO SwampersSEMO Swampers , Pup Tent 15 spent Sunday, December 01, 2013 visiting veterans at the John J Pershing VA Hospital hosting an ice cream social and chatting with fellow veterans after a short scratch(meeting) Pictures by Barbara Simpson and Olin Parks
- VFW and partners receive award to expand student veteran supportNo one knows the GI Bill better than the VFW. After all, we played a major role in the passage of the 1944 GI Bill of Rights, the Montgomery GI Bill Act of 1984 and the recent Post-9/11 GI Bill.” –www.vfw.org KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The Veterans of Foreign Wars is pleased to announce […]
- Warning: VA ID Cards Are Easily ScannedAll Veterans enrolled in VA Healthcare System are advised to guard their VA ID cards as new cards are being created
- VFW and Lou Diamond PhillipsFind more videos like this on My VFW WebCOM
- Korean War Veterans to Receive 60th Year Commemorative Gift of Gratitude from Korean Industries and GovernmentKorean War Veterans to Receive 60th Year Commemorative Gift of Gratitude from Korean Industries and Government The Republic of Korea, together with the Department of Defense, thanks Korean War Veterans nationwide with gift of “Korea Reborn” book; Presentation ceremonies and/or collection points in every state via National Guards, state agencies, VFW and/or t […]