The VFW joined President Barack Obama and leaders in veterans’ advocacy at the White House yesterday [Monday] to sign the VOW to Hire Heroes Act into law. This comprehensive piece of veterans’ jobs legislation passed both houses of Congress with unanimous bipartisan support before reaching the president’s desk thanks in large part to the advocacy of the VFW on the issue of veterans’ unemployment.
Over the last few years, the VFW has consistently passed a resolution at the VFW National Convention calling on Congress to address the ever-growing unemployment crisis among veterans, particularly the men and women who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan. VFW then testified in support of comprehensive veterans’ jobs legislation before both the House and Senate in the lead-up to the compromise bill that the president signed yesterday [Monday].
Both Republican and Democratic leaders, like House Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Jeff Miller, R-Fla., and Senate Veterans Affairs Committee Chairman Patty Murray, D-Wash., joined the president, First Lady Michelle Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden at the White House to mark the bipartisan victory that will help veterans become more marketable employees in a cut-throat jobs market.
Continue reading at VFW On The Hill
Leave a comment
- Eighteen Unknown Veterans to Receive Honors and Proper BurialThe formerly unclaimed cremains of 18 United States Military Veterans from WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam will receive proper funerals with full military honors. […]
- Wednesday BreakfastWednesdays 7 am to 9 am your post will be serving breakfast. Join for good food and good conversation. Your choice of pancakes, eggs to order, biscuits and gravy, sausage, and bacon for only $3.00 […]
- BBQEvery Saturday in conjunction with the Farmers Market the post will have a BBQ from 9 am to 3 pm Come on by and enjoy a Pork Steak or Chicken Quarter dinner for just $6.00 We also have Brats, Hot Dogs and Hamburgers […]
- Farmers’ MarketEvery Saturday in the post parking lot there will be a Farmers Market from 7am to 11am […]
- Secretary of defense coming to OmahaOMAHA, Neb. —Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel is scheduled to make his first trip back to his home state since taking office. The Pentagon said Hagel will give a speech at 4:45 p.m. Wednesday at the University of Nebraska Omaha — his alma mater — on the challenges the Department of Defense is facing. On […]
- Perfect scores for Nebraska state veterans homesLINCOLN, Neb. —Nebraska’s four state-run veterans homes have received perfect scores on their most recent annual Health Care System Surveys from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The homes are in Bellevue, Grand Island, Norfolk and Scottsbluff and have a combined capacity of 637 veterans. The homes were judged on safety, care, environment, staff [.. […]
- Key Account Manager – Waukesha Bearings Corporation – Pewaukee, WI (Greater Milwaukee Area)General responsibilities of the Key Account Manager position include the monitoring, maintaining and increasing the company’s presence with strategic accounts in core markets. Emphasis will be working collaboratively with project engineering resources in order to provide responsive commercial and technical support to key customers. […]
- 10th Anniversary Middle East War MemorialIt is a war memorial that most people do not even know exists. June 15, 2013 marked the 10th anniversary of the Middle East Conflicts Wall Memorial on the Illinois River in Marseilles, Illinois. See... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] […]
- NC District 8 Earned the Status of “ALL AMERICAN” DistrictNorth Carolina District 8 Commander (Jessie Bellflowers) and Quartermaster (Richard Easingwood) have been notified that they have earned the title of “All American” District for... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]] […]
- 2013 Vander Clute Ride to LouisvilleNot a lot of time left for this. Take action quickly. […]