Our speakers are sought after as they have stories to tell. Not all stories are about a war. Topics include:
- World War II service, family life, and sacrifices
- Flag Etiquette and Flag Day
- Video Historical Recordings of veterans stories for the N.C. State Archives
- Motivational speaking
- Building an active post
- Memorial Day
- VA benefits, medical care, service-connected medical care and services
- Veterans Day
- The Veterans of Foreign Wars in our communities
- Current Conflicts – Iraq and Afghanistan
- Military service – Life in the military
- Laughter in the military
Here is a partial list of our speakers
Mark Sumner, US Army – Army advance scout, France.
- Awarded Legion of Honor Medal, France Learn more
- War and Theater, A Veterans Story – An interview with Mark Sumner View
Jim Stallings – US Army, Korea. He was the Captain of a former Navy Ship transferred to the US Army.
- Commanded U.S. Army ship during Korean War
- Retired University of North Carolina professor
- See his paper, “Who Will Be the Future Leaders of VFW Post 9100?”
Major Everett “Bud” Hampton, USMC, Ret. – He is an Iwo Jima survivor, but there is more to his tale. Bud landed in THREE Pacific islands to capture them BEFORE he got to Iwo Jima. He was a seasoned Marine, who saw many island battles by the time he got there! His Marine battalion was used in Corsica for the filming of The Longest Day.
- Marshall Islands – 1 Feb 1944
- Saipan – 15 June 1944
- Tinian – Aug 1944
- Iwo Jima – 19 Feb 1945
Ed Gill, US Army – A Vietnam Veteran
- Legionnaire of the Year – 2012, American Legion Post 6, Chapel Hill
- Legionnaire of the Year – 2012, Department of North Carolina
- News of Orange County – Local wins Legionnaire of the Year
Master Chief Petty Officer Lee Heavlin, US Navy (Ret.) – Overseas service included Vietnam in-country with Military Assistance Command, Vietnam, in Saigon; Korea service in-country with Commander Naval Forces, Korea, in Seoul; and NATO Portugal with Commander Iberian Atlantic, Oeiras, Portugal (near Lisbon).
- All State Team Post Commander 2009-2010
- VFW National Aide-de-Camp to National Commanders; 2010, 2011, 2012, and for 2012-2013
- VFW Post 9100 Commander 2005-2011
- VFW North Carolina District 6 Commander
- VFW Department of North Carolina State Website Webmaster and Blogmaster – 2011-14 View site
- A WCHL-1360 Village Pride Award Hometown Hero – June 14, 2011 Flag Day 2011
- A WCHL-1360 Village Pride Award Winner – April 4, 2014
- Blogger and webmaster for VFW Department of North Carolina
- Motivational Speaker – Team Building
- In print
- Article – How he shares patriotism.
- Local Voices, Chapel Hill Herald – Veterans Memorial a Must
- My View, The Chapel Hill News – Why a veteran’s memorial
- Photography – Cover photo Naval War College Review, Summer 1990, Sunset Newport Bridge from the War College
- Publications – C V Cummings Chapel Hill Post 9100 News – Winner of VFW Publications National Contest 1st Place (SPC) 2011
Russell (Rusty) S. Edmister, U.S. Army – Vietnam. A native of Massachusetts due to his father’s service in the US Army during WWII. After the war ended, the family moved to North Carolina, and Rusty grew up in Chapel Hill where he graduated from Chapel Hill High School in 1962 and from Carolina in 1966 (BS in Business) and in 1968 (MBA). After college, Rusty served 2 years in the U.S. Army including a year in Vietnam in the Engineer Command in Long Binh. He rejoined IBM after being discharged from the Army and retired from the company after a 39-year career in 2007. Since then, he has earned a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies at North Carolina State in 2012 and is currently interviewing North Carolina military veterans to create video oral histories for the Military Collection at the North Carolina Archives in Raleigh. As of this posting, Rusty has completed over 130 video interviews.
- North Carolina Archives Project Learn more
Bruce Thoreson, USMC (Ret. )- Vietnam Served in Vietnam as a Marine Officer working in communications. Most of his service was in the northernmost sector of South Vietnam known as I Corps.
- Spoke to a private school class studying Tim O’Brien’s The Things They Carried. Shared personal experiences as a Vietnam conflict survivor.
Commander Marv McWherter, SC, USN (Ret.) – Vietnam Commander McWherter served aboard the USS Eversole (DD-789) during the Vietnam era, and the USS Mars (AFS-1) during the Middle East tensions of 1979-1981. Learn more…
- Featured speaker, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ROTC Veterans Day 2012 Read story
- Download biography
Sergeant Major Richard R. Rawlings, USMC (Ret.) – Thirty years of service, including Iraq, and is a recent conflict returnee.
- Command Sergeant Major
- Service deployed aboard USS KEARSARGE (LHD3)
- Military life in the United States Marine Corps
- Community Relations – Spain
- Recent speech
- B-29 aircraft, Asiatic Pacific Theater; China, Burma, and India.
- B-25 aircraft, Burma
- Strategic Air Command
- Iraq, Afghanistan
- Designed North Carolina National Guard Veterans Memorial