12TH Annual Stand Down for Homeless Veterans
Harbor Homes and Manchester VA
Location: Harbor Homes
77 Northeastern Boulevard, Nashua NH
September 20th, 2018
Services Include: VA Representation, Food, Clothing, Community Resources, Employment Information and More. For a view of past events: Visit Utube Harbor Homes Stand Down Andrea Reed 2012. Thank you.
For more information call (603)882-3616 and ask for Andrea Reed, by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or Emily Reisine, Homeless Coordinator Manchester VA at Emily.Reisine@va.gov or at 800-892-8384 x 3622 Showers available as well. Bring a towel if you can. We will do our best to have some available.
The Annual Stand Down for Homeless Veterans is brought to you through the partnership of Harbor Homes, Inc. and Manchester VA along with the collaboration of our community partners.
DEPARTMENT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
GENERAL ORDERS #2 AUGUST 2018
General Orders are to be read at each Post Meeting and placed on file
1) JOINT STATE OUTING 2018: The Annual Joint State Outing will be in Winchester at the VFW Post
Home, August 11. $5.00 per person (Contact Butch for tickets his contact info is on the flyer)
12:00 PM Hamburg & Hot Dogs & Assorted Salads
16:00 Steak & Baked Potatoes & corn on the Cobb
Green Salad & W/Watermelon for Dessert
For full details and Hotel information see attached flyer.
2) OTI: The Department of New Hampshire VFW will hold Officer Training at each of the District
Meetings this year. OTI Chairman Hussey will coordinate with the District Commanders.
3) COUNCIL OF ADMINISTRATION: The Council of Administration will be at the Winchester VFW
Saturday August 11, 2018 at 10:00 AM, Finance Committee meetings at 9:00 AM, Veterans Service
Committee at 0930. State Outing starts at noon. UNIFORM OF THE DAY WILL BE CASUAL
4) ON LINE REPORTING: For On Line Reporting, go to http://nh.vfwportal.net/public/, your sign on is
your Post number and your password is abc123 all lower case, it will never change. Example: Sign On:
816 Password: abc123
Start reporting today!
5) REQUEST FOR DEPARTMENT REPRESENTATIVE: Request for a Department Representative for a
special event, must be submitted in writing to the Department Adjutant, PO Box 955, Concord, NH 03302-
0955 or e-mail: email@example.com
6) Roster books will be available at the August Council Meeting
7) DEADLINE: The deadline for information going into the General Orders is the 20th of each month.
Send all requests to State Adjutant – Paul Lloyd, PO Box 955 Concord NH 03302-0955. Adjutant contact
info is: Phone: 603-715-5579, Fax: 603-715-2405, Cell: 603-496-1918 and E-mail:
Please see attached Registration Flyer for the training, Understanding
Military Culture, scheduled for Wednesday, May 26th at the Littleton VFW.
This training is intended to help participants better understand military
culture, and to be able to partner with and provide supportive services for
our troops. The New Hampshire National Guard and our Reserve units are
preparing for the largest deployment in their history. General Reddell,
Adjutant General for the NH National Guard will serve as our keynote speaker
and will share information on this deployment and what it means for New
Hampshire. Continental breakfast and lunch are provided – at no cost –
through a very generous contribution by the Littleton VFW.
To register for this training, please follow the guidelines on the attached
Registration Flyer by contacting Linda Lewis. Please let Linda know that
you are registering for the LITTLETON training. (Linda is currently
registering folks for several trainings.) Thank you and have a great
Community Based Military Programs
Department of Health and Human Services
DEPARTMENT OF NEW HAMPSHIRE VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
GENERAL ORDERS # 10 April 2010
General Orders are to be read at each Post Meeting and placed on file
1) LOYALTY DAY: Loyalty Day observance will be held May 1, 2010 at the Concord State House beginning at 12:00 Noon. All members of the VFW and Ladies Auxiliary are encouraged to participate in this event. Rick Angwin, Chairman requests participating members to assemble at 11:30AM.
2) MEMORIAL DAY: Commanders on all levels should begin organizing their 2010 Memorial Day Buddy Poppy Campaign. (Promotional material was mailed to all Commanders last July). Every Post is urged to order your Buddy Poppies from Quartermaster, William Champagne for distribution at your Buddy Poppy Campaign.
3) STATE CONVENTION: The State Convention will be held June 18-20, 2010 at the Town and Country Motor Inn, Shelburne, NH. Room rate will be $88.00 plus tax. Call today to reserve your room 1-800-325-4386. Friday Luncheon will be Roast Beef for $18.00 per person. Dress Code for VFW white shirt no jacket. Saturday banquet is Surf and Turf for $30.00 per person. Dress Code is Jacket and Tie. Past State Commander’s Luncheon will be $15.00 again this year. Dress code for installation is Blues and Grays.
4) CONVENTION AD BOOK: Attention is called again to our Convention Ad Book Company, (Consult Tel-Communications) is working hard to solicit ads for our book. It is imperative that Commanders inform those working at Post Homes and Canteens so they can be informed of their work.
5) CONVENTION ADS: We request that all Ads be submitted by May 9, 2009 to Quartermaster, William Champagne, PO Box 1440, Concord, NH 03301 and make checks payable to Department of NH VFW
Full Page – $100.00, Half Page – $50.00, Quarter Page – $25.00, Eighth Page – $15.00.
6) EASTERN STATES CONFERENCE: The Eastern States Conference will be held April 9-11, 2010 at the Courtyard Marriott in Nashua, NH. Room rate $105.00 plus tax. Phone 800-321-2211for reservations. Banquet tickets are $40.00 per person. Order from State Quartermaster William Champagne. Deadline April 1, 2010.
7) BUDDY POPPIES: Poppy sales are still way down for the State. Every Post is encouraged to stock up on Poppies not only for your annual Buddy Poppy Drives but for distribution through-out the year – for special displays or center pieces – for decorations and presentations – to be passed out at parades or gatherings or in the class rooms ……. there are hundreds of uses! And then don’t forget to REPORT all that you do …. from purchase to hand out. Where applicable, you are urged to encourage your Ladies Auxiliary and your Men’s Auxiliary to also purchase Poppies …… what better way to support the Post!
8) ELECTION/INSTALLATION OF POST OFFICERS: Post Officers shall be nominated at the first meeting in April and shall be elected at the second meeting in April. Due notice of such election to be mailed to all members in good standing. In cases where a Post holds only one business meeting a month, the nominations may be made at the March meeting with nominations being held open until the April meeting. Your attention is direct to Section 217 of the National By-Laws and Manual of Procedure.
9) DISTRICT MEETING ASSIGNMENTS:
25: District #1 Littleton 10:00 AM State Commander, Ron Miller
18: District #5 Hinsdale 10:00 AM State Surgeon , Charles Mooskian
11: District #7 Portsmouth 10:00 AM State Chaplain, Greg Lynch
16: District #2 Charlestown 1:00 PM State Commander, Roland Miller
16: District #3 Milton 3:00 PM State Jr. Vice Commander, Paul Lloyd
16: District #4 Suncook 10:00 AM State Sr. Vice Commander, Dave Ouellette
16: District #5 Keene 10:00 AM State Chaplain, Greg Lynch
02: District #6 Hudson 10:00 AM State Commander, Roland Miller
16: District #7 Derry 10:00 AM State Surgeon , Charles Mooskian
10) NATIONAL CONVENTION: The 111th National Convention will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana, August 21-26, 2010. The Department of NH will be housed at the Hilton Indianapolis Hotel and Suites with a block of 20 rooms. Room reservations may be made by filling out the form enclosed and mail to VFW Housing Bureau, 30 So. Meridian Street,Suite 410, Indianapolis, Indiana. or Call 317-684-2573 or go to www.vfw.org . Rates for rooms are single/double $125.00, triple $135.00, Quad $145.00 plus 17% tax. There is one floor of smoking rooms available. A room deposit of $100.00 is required to secure reservation. Cancellation policy is after July 19, 2010 will be subject to a $25.00 cancellation fee. July 19, 2010 is the deadline for reservations.
11)REGISTRATION VFW NATIONAL CONVENTION: In accordance with the requirements of Section 222 of the By-Laws, Posts are urged to complete and mail the registration forms and payment of delegate fees to National for the National Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana; August 21-26, 2010.
12) NATIONAL MILITARY SERVICE:
May is National Military
Appreciation Month (NMAM)
Have you made your plans for May Troop Support and/or
Memorial Day events? Check out this website http://www.nmam.org/
for ideas for your community and recognition of your local veterans to include
*Announce NMAM at your Post/Auxiliary meeting
* Incorporate NMAM into school and VA Hospital visits
*Urge your community to fly the flag from May 1
through Flag Day June 14
Now that you have your events planned
* Don’t forget to order your "NMS Support Our Troops" t-shirts
* List your events on the NMAM Community Calendar
13) LIFE MEMBERSHIP PAY OUT: On March 6, 2010 the Board of Trustees of the Life Membership Fund agreed to the following dues payout for life Members. The National Council of Administration concurred in those payouts at its March 7, 2010 meeting.
Plan ABC – A total payout of $9.06 for each life member ($3.02 to each Post, Department and National).
Plan D – A total payout of $11.10 for each life member ($3.70 to each Post, Department and National).
Plan E – A total payout of $27.00 for each life member ($9.00 to each Post, Department and National).
14) FROM AMERICANISM CHAIRMAN, BRUCE CABONE: The American Ex-POW group,
N.H chapter, will hold a small ceremony in honor of New Hampshire’s Former Prisoner of War day.
On April 10th, 11:30am at the New Hampshire Veterans Cemetery in Boscawen. The brief ceremony is open to everyone and all are welcomed.
Sheila Peters POW coordinator
15) CHANGES: The new fax number for the Dept. Quartermaster is 1-866-531-4476 (replaces 856-7860).
Dana E. Hussey Roland E. Miller
State Adjutant State Commander
MAGIC NUMBER FOR 100% IN MEMBERSHIP 548
WE CAN DO IT TOGETHER
Bring “EM” All Home
- The U.S. House of Representatives needs to support S. 3162, which was introduced by Senate VA Committee Chairman Daniel Akaka (D-Hawaii) to protect VA healthcare programs. It passed the Senate unanimously on March 26.
- The U.S. Senate needs to support S. 3148, which was introduced by Senate Armed Services Personnel Subcommittee Chairman Jim Webb (D-Va.) to protect all military Tricare programs as well as non-appropriated fund health plans. S. 3148 is a companion bill to H.R. 4887, which was introduced by House Armed Services Committee Chairman Ike Skelton (D-Mo.) and approved March 20 by a vote of 403-0.
KANSAS CITY, March 31, 2010 – The national commander of the nation's largest organization of combat veterans is furious about the recent Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit Court decision ordering Albert Snyder, the father of a slain Marine to pay legal costs to the Westboro Baptist Church.
Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., led by Fred Phelps, has for years been taunting grieving mourners at military funerals nationwide. During the funeral of Marine Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder's funeral in 2006, the anti-gay group praised the loss of the young Marine as well as other of the nation's young servicemen and women, calling their deaths a by-product of a nation that tolerates homosexuality.
"This is a travesty at best and borders on the obscene, said VFW National Commander Thomas J. Tradewell Sr., of Sussex, Wis. "The irony in this whole situation is that the blood and sacrifice of our nation's heroes have enabled this group to spread their message of hate. Yet, they celebrate when one of America's best pays the ultimate sacrifice preserving that right of free speech," the Vietnam veteran said.
"Mr. Snyder has already confronted the difficulties of burying his Marine son and then bringing a lawsuit against this group of hate-mongers. It is absolutely wrong for the court to order him to shoulder a financial burden on top of everything else. That is why VFW national headquarters will be making a donation to the fund that has been established to assist in paying the legal costs. Additionally, I am asking that each of the more than 1.5 million members of the VFW do what they can to assist Mr. Snyder, even taking the time to offer a him note of support and encouragement."
A fund has been set up to help Mr. Snyder pay the court costs. None of the money will be for attorneys, who are graciously representing him pro bono. To contribute, go to www.matthewsnyder.org, or send a check payable to "Al Snyder Fund" to:
Barley Snyder LLC.
100 East Market Street
York, PA 17401.
Following yesterday's request by Commander-in-Chief Tommy Tradewell, the VFW wishes to notify members and supporters that voting on the Pepsi Refresh competition will not begin until May 1, 2010.
More details will be passed along as that date nears.