When the World War had ended and the soldiers returned to their homes, they found that there was a certain something missing from their daily lives; just what it was or how they were affected was not completely definable. The mind of Comrade Claude R. Roberts, a bugler who had served with Co. G 128th Infantry overseas finally solved the problem by acquainting the rest of the old company with a real soldiers outfit, The Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States. Through correspondence with and afterwards membership in the Merwin M. Carlton Post No. 5 of St. Paul, Minnesota, Roberts was made acquainted with the order and soon had 23 members signed up and a Charter granted. The Charter was issued on June 6, 1920, and the Post was mustered in on that date. The boys chose the name Burns Post to honor two Wausau brothers who lost their lives in combat in France.