The U.S. Embassy to France has been advised that the French Government is offering local support to D-Day veterans who are planning to attend the 70th anniversary commemoration of Operation Overlord on June 6, 2014, in Normandy, France. The French government will provide one veteran and a guest with roundtrip transportation from Paris to Normandy, and lodging, meals and transportation while in Normandy. Travel to Paris is the responsibility of each veteran and guest.
The Embassy has asked Paris-based VFW Benjamin Franklin Post 605 to assist with collecting the names of VFW and other D-Day veterans planning to attend. Please send the following information by e-mail to Chuck Steiner at VFW Post 605 at firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Full name of veteran
2. Home address to receive invitation (home and cell phones and e-mail, too)
3. Are you a D-Day veteran, Normandy campaign, or WWII veteran?
5. Escort or guest’s name (if there are more than one, so indicate)
6. Any special needs (e.g., wheelchair)?
7. Dates of planned attendance (arrival to and departure from France)
If unable to send by e-mail, please address regular mail to:
VFW Benjamin Franklin Post 605
4 rue du General Leclere, 92130
This information is needed as soon as possible. It is also recommended that other WWII veterans who plan to attend should forward their information, too, as the French Government may extend their generous support to them, as well. However, be advised that this offer is subject to revision.
Public Affairs Director