MARCH – 2019- NEWSLETTER
Greetings Members and Friends of Greendale VFW Post 10519
This is the first week of March and it is still very much like mid winter. Better days are coming, spring like weather will be here soon. As you all know our January meeting was canceled due to heavy snow, blowing and cold temperatures. This is the first time in anyone’s memory that a Post meeting had to be canceled. February’s meeting went on as scheduled.
I am happy to report that there are no new known hospitalizations at this time. Get well wishes go out to all who are dealing with health issues. I also have no new members or transfers to report. Please keep working on membership, that is our future.
In recognition of the generosity of Mike Pekrul of MW Marines and his contributions to the Post, members voted to purchase two magnetic vehicle door signs for our parade vehicles. The signs will be a visual THANK YOU to MW Marine for their support of Greendale VFW. Also at the February meeting members voted to purchase two six foot table covers with our name and VFW logo printed on them. These will help dress up our meeting presentation and can also be used at our fund raisers. I would like to give a special thanks to Post member Art Olszewski for stepping up and donating a check to pay for one of the table covers. This generous gift comes by way of the Art Olszewski Agency Inc, American Family Insurance.
Along with those dress ups an anonymous Post member has donated the FALLEN SOLDIER BATTLE CROSS display piece that has replaced the cross in front of the podium.
At the March meeting we will have nomination of Officers for upcoming 2019-2020 VFW year. The March nominations will stay open for further nominations at the April meeting, at which time the nominations will be closed and the election held. The installation of Officers will be on Thursday May 23rd. Our normal meeting on the fourth Monday of May falls on Memorial Day. Originally we had planned the third Monday of the Month (May 20th) for the installation. But due to scheduling conflict it is has been tentatively scheduled for Thursday May 23rd to include the installation and catered dinner. There will be more and final information in the April newsletter.
As we head into spring and summer VFW activities increase. COMING UP:
- The Milwaukee County Tavern League/ Milwaukee Count Hospitality Association foundation and the Greendale American Legion are sponsoring a meat raffle at the Post on March 16 from noon to five. The proceeds will go the VETSROLLS/ WISCONSIN EVENT leaving Beloit on May 19th and returning May 22nd.
- 2019 VFW WISCONSIN LOAYALTY DAYS CELEBRATION IN FREEDOM, WI ON APRIL 27TH. The parade begins 10: 30 am and the program begins at 1 pm. There is more information on the VFW State web site.
- The VIETNAM MOVING WALL is coming to Greenfield. It will be on display 24 hours from May 23rd at 2 pm to May 27th at 4 pm. It will be at Konkel Park on 51st and Layton.
- Our first Brewer Poppy opportunity will be on April 15th. Watch for more information in the April newsletter. The weather could be challenging that time of the year. We don’t have a lot of fund raising opportunities so we need to take advantage of them all.
- Look for a formal announcement in the next few weeks regarding the Greendale Veterans Memorial. The Memorial Committee is close to setting the ground breaking date as well as a proposed Grand Opening date.
- Our Community Poppy drive will be Friday and Saturday May 10th and 11th. There will be more information and volunteer sign up in the April newsletter and at the April meeting. This is our main fund raising event please give some thought to helping out, whatever you can do.
THE VFW STATE OF WISCONSIN is doing another limited cash raffle. A ticket is S20.00 which sounds high but there are only 6,000 ticket available and the payout is a generous $17,000.00 among 17 winners. The top prize is $5,000.00. I will have tickets available at the Post meetings in March, April and May. (Drawing June 27th).
The Post was contacted by Woods of Cedar Village on 33rd and College regarding a World War II veteran of the facility that is turning 100 years old. He is not a Post member and I don’t know his back ground but we’ve been invited to offer our Birthday wishes and offer thanks for his service the evening of March 29th. Several of the Post members have committed to this. If you would like to attend give me a call I can give you the details.
The Post has an e-mail address, it is GREENDALEVFW@GMAIL.COM.The Post’s web site is www.myvfw.org/wi/post10519.Check us out on FACEBOOK.
Our next Post meeting will be MARCH 25TH, 2019 at our regular start time of 6:30 pm.
Commander- Greendale- VFW Post 10519